You must be receiving official emails from your service providers very often, including hackers. While you find those emails annoying, hackers find them as an opportunity. They use this opportunity for clone phishing.
Clone phishing is done when a hacker copies a legitimate email message that is sent from a trusted organization. He alters the email by replacing or adding a link that redirects to a malicious and fake website.
Furthermore, the email is sent out in masses and hacker watches out for the victim who clicks it. When a victim successfully falls for the cloned email, the hacker forwards the same forged email to the contacts from the victim’s inbox.
The number of cloned and phished websites from October 2017 to March 2018 reached up to 73.80%, while 48.60% of reported phishing attacks have used “.COM”
It is a next-level attempt of tricking the recipient’s suspicions beyond spear phishing. A clone phishing attack has got the following characteristics:
- A spoofed email address would appear to have come from an original source
- The attached file or link in the email is replaced with a malicious version
- It would claim to be a revert of the original email or an updated version of the original email
Users assume that the websites or domains they interact with are safe. But hackers do trick users by impersonating domains and cloning websites. This is why the clone phishing attack is considered as the most harmful one because it is hard for victims to suspect a spoofed email.
How to Prevent Clone Phishing?
To remain safe from online scams and prevent such dangerous cyber attacks, it is important to take some preventive measures. Following tips are some brand protection solutions to secure your organization:
- Always check sender’s email message
- Before clicking on any landing page, hover over the link in the email to ensure first
- Make sure to follow up with the organization that has sent the email
- Keep your credentials secure by not sharing them with anyone in particular
- Look out for suspicious errors in the email as cloned emails are not 100% legitimate in looks
- Always submit your information to the websites that have “https” prefix before the URL of the website
- Secure your organization by spreading awareness among the employees regarding cyber security awareness
An organization can only be fully protected if its employees are well aware of the harmful cyber attacks. They should be less vulnerable and more proactive enough when it comes to attacking vectors like phishing attacks.
Intending to train individuals and employees in the organization, India’s top-notch cyber security company, offers you the best security awareness and threat analysis tool. ThreatCop by Kratikal is a highly innovative product that helps in empowering employees by analyzing their level of vulnerability.
ThreatCop provides unlimited simulation attacks of the latest attack vectors to check the level of vulnerability of employees. Along with that, it provides automated training campaigns to educate employees.
It is the best security awareness tool to secure your organization from becoming a victim of dangerous cyber attacks. This product assesses real-time threat posture in an organization and helps in reducing up to 90% of the cyber risks.
For Any Query:
- Email: [email protected]
- Contact: India (+91) 7428797201, USA (+1) 323 287 9435