Servers are goldmines of information for the attacker. Application Servers are home to the source code of the application, configuration files, cryptographic keys and lots of other important data.
Database servers are high-value targets for the attackers as they house confidential information like usernames and passwords of the consumer, bank account details, credit card information, sensitive personal information.
Servers are vulnerable not only due to the services and applications installed on them, but also due to factors such as the underlying OS, frameworks installed and the kernel version.
Kratikal offers Vulnerability Assessment and Penetration Testing services for Servers to find critical vulnerabilities in the server architecture, thereby preventing severe business losses due to intruder footholds and abrupt downtimes. We adhere to international standards like OWASP, OSSTMM and SANS to perform in-depth assessment of your servers.
HOW IT WORKS
We follow universal testing standards like OWASP, OSSTMM and SANS for comprehensive security assessments.
- Information Gathering:
- In this stage we perform detailed reconnaissance about the server, its architecture, firewall configurations and other related intelligence. Certain inputs are also sought from the Dev team.
- Planning and Analysis:
- Based on the information collected in the previous stage, we analyse the possible attack points and devise a full scale “Red Team” approach to mimic real time attacks. To minimise impact of day-to-day activities of the IT asset, we plan the attack, either on dummy environment or during times of lowest network activity (lowest traffic).
- Vulnerability Assessment:
- In this stage, we run vulnerability scanners to look for possible vulnerabilities and common vulnerabilities related to the platform, services, open ports technology framework etc.
- Penetration Testing:
- Here we run exploits on the server to evaluate its security. We use custom scripts, open source exploits, in-house tools and third-party exploit frameworks to achieve high degree of penetration. We have over 150 test cases for servers. Some test cases are general for all types of servers, others are specific to the OS (Windows or Linux), type of server (Apache, IIS, Solaris etc) and the nature of the server (database, application or file).
- We generate concise and succinct reports of the vulnerabilities discovered along with discussion on the nature of vulnerability, its impact, threat level and recommendation to remove the vulnerability.
- Our technical experts discuss the report, along with the bugs found, and their impact scenario with the development team of the client. Comprehensive discussions are carried out on how to remove the vulnerabilities and harden the server. We also suggest best practices on how to maintain high degree of server security; integrating patch management, firewall updates and vulnerability assessment to maximise cyber resilience.